Are you in the market for a brand new vehicle? Have you always enjoyed driving a car with a manual transmission? If so, you may be considering buying a vehicle that has a clutch. Since these kinds of vehicles are becoming harder to find, there are some things you should know when it comes to buying a car with a clutch.
1. Know What Kind of Vehicles Still Come with Clutches
If you're hoping to buy a certain make and model of vehicle that has a manual transmission, you may be out of luck. The good news however, is that clutches are not yet totally obsolete and that there are still manufacturers that make these kinds of vehicles. As of 2018, here are some brand new vehicles you can buy that comes with the option of having a stick shift:
- Ford Mustang GT
- Honda Civic Type R
- VW Golf R
- Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
- Ford Focus RS
- Ram 2500/3500 Cummins Diesel 4WD
Only 2% of all vehicles sold in 2018 had manual transmissions, which means they are becoming very rare. However, it is good to know you can still find a brand new vehicle with a clutch.
2. Know How to Use Your Clutch
When you have a car with a manual transmission instead of an automatic one, you will need to use your clutch to shift the car into gear. If you want your clutch to last as long as possible, you will need to know how to properly use it. Some ways of doing this include:
- Put your vehicle in neutral when coming to a stop and take your foot off the clutch
- Don't ever rest your foot on the clutch
- Take a flatter route rather than a hilly one so you won't have to shift as much
When using your clutch wisely, it should last for at least 60,000 miles.
3. Know the Advantages of Buying a Vehicle with a Manual Transmission
There are some advantages of buying a vehicle with a manual transmission. Some of these include:
- Improved fuel economy
- Harder to steal (due to the lower numbers of people that know how to drive a vehicle with a clutch)
- Less expensive than one with an automatic transmission
One more advantage of buying a vehicle with a clutch is that when it comes to auto transmission repair, it is usually less expensive to fix or replace a manual transmission. Replacing a manual transmission costs up to $3,000 while replacing an automatic one costs up to $4,000.
Contact a transmission repair service for more help.